Chi-Walking--a GREAT thing, featuring a Hilly Walk! [And a monster!!!]

We attended the Good Sam Rally last March at the Phoenix International Raceway. We both attended a terrific session on Chi-Walking, by Lisa Pozzoni, Arizona's only Certified Instructor in Chi-Walking and Chi-Running. Remember, it was an hour session, in a crowded tent, and it was HOT! I tried to follow the techniques and strategies, but by fall, with aches and pains in knees and hips, I wanted to find out more. I signed up for a 3 hour session December 3, 2012, and there has NOT been any looking back!

Chi-Walking, for me, has improved my ability to walk without knee or hip pain! I am energized! I have greater flexibility in movement! I am losing weight, from over 30 BMI (ummm, morbidly obese!) on my way to my goal of under 25 BMI! I am truly committed to the life-long experience of Chi-walking! At the December training session, I purchased the paper back book on Chi-Walking and the ChiWalking Workbook, a step by step 8 week guide to developing a ChiWalking program. As we depart North Ranch Monday, I am on week 19--planning for walks in the morning before we move on down the road, and doing the Loosening Walk when we stop at rest areas during the day. I really enjoy the matrix of walks available from the book, but my favorites are the Aerobic long walk, the Cardio, the Hilly walk, and the Energizing walk. Certainly I started out slowly, no longer than 30 minutes. Now I can do at least an hour without a problem, moving effortlessly using the techniques (focuses!) of ChiWalking.

Let me share our experiences from a few Hilly Walks. We load the dogs in the Blue Buggy, and drive 2.5
The Blue Buggy at the top of our hill.
miles onto BLM land out the back gate of North Ranch to the top of a hill overlooking the wash.

Then all of us walk down a sloping hill, to a "bigger" hill, down to the wash and back up again! The dogs love it, especially when it is cool, running ahead, then running back to us! We watch for snakes, of course, and keep the dogs on the road. It is about 10 minutes down and back up again. We usually do this all together 2 times, and I do it one last time before we head back.
The top of the "big" hill, going down to the wash. 

Dogs running to meet Lindy as she returns to the top of the hill.
A week ago today we went out for our last hill walk. It was warmer than usual, as we are in April, So we walked the route once, and Mike and the animals stayed with the Blue Buggy while Lindy went down for the 2nd trip. The plan was to "rest" the dogs, particularly Bitty, the "Older" (as my friend's husband calls us Olders! She will be 12 this May.) and then walk the 3rd time down with Lindy and return. Bitty usually crawls under the Blue Buggy and sleeps, by the water dish, and that is where Mike and the dogs were until they heard a sound, Bitty ripping around the Blue Buggy followed by Mike and there, about 12 inches
Gila Monster
from Bitty's nose was a lovely Gila Monster! Mike grabbed Bitty and put her in the Blue Buggy, fastening her harness. Rupert was more interested in where Lindy was, so Mike grabbed him, and fastened him in. As I came up the hill, Mike motioned for me to come look. Here is what I saw! (Can you find the black and orange "monster"?)

It was at that time that both of us decided to cut all activity short! Hill walk finished for the day and season here at North Ranch!

You'll see that it is indeed rocky, and later research revealed that they prefer rocky areas to the flat "plain" and spring is the mating season...!

I am looking forward to our travels this spring into summer, opportunities for hiking in the places we stop to visit. I remember our first full-time experience in Yellowstone National Park, where trying to walk to get closer to the area where several geysers hurt so much I had to quit!

I am committed to setting aside the time in making my health and my workouts a priority. What was it Ziggy said:  "Today is a gift we give ourselves. That's why they call it the Present!"

If you are interested in ChiWalking, check out the web links above. Katherine and Danny Dreyer are the authors of the books I used. Chiwalking works!

Lindy -- for the Roving Riders, as we are moving on the road!
Thanks for stopping by!



Comments

  1. Have fun hiking this summer, we also want to do a lot of hiking. Hug those furkids for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Furkids say thanks for the hug! Wishing you guys a super fun summer! Safe travels!

      Delete

Post a Comment