Lindy's Road Trip to Aurora University, Class of 1967 Reunion Part 1: October 2017


I drafted this post on my reunion journey traveling to and from Aurora, Illinois October 2017 on April 18, 2018. I'm posting it now. I am working on "catching up" on posts, as we continue enjoying our experiences traveling in our home on wheels with our two special Corgis. Here is Lindy's Road Trip to Aurora University, Class of 1967 Reunion - Part 1. 

Waaay back in January, 2017, I began planning on a road trip to Aurora, Illinois. Fifty four years ago, I, and two others from teeny tiny Colton, Oregon traveled to Aurora to attend college, and graduated June, 1967. Instead of flying back for the 50th, I planned a road trip where I could visit friends along the way:  stopping in Gallup, NM and Dubuque, Iowa. I also squeezed in a short visit to a Presidential Library along the way!

While in Gallup, I had lunch with three former students at Lincoln Elementary, in Shirley Russell's and my 5th grade classes; who are now teachers at that school! We had a great time:  laughing, crying (mostly me!), and reminiscing about those times! Thanks, Dora, Denise, and Ruby, along with Mary and Terry!


On my way out of Gallup I stopped by to see Renee, It was great to see friends from Gallup and Blue Water!

I drove on, able to spend some time at the Eisenhower Presidential Library in Abilene, Kansas. I remember 1952. That was the year I understood that the numbers:  1, 9, 5, and 2 together met the year we were in, posted on a "calendar"....  My folks were excited about "Ike", and had "I like Ike" pins. Visiting his Library brought back memories, of those times, as well as providing lots of food for thought. I completed a geocache on the grounds, again, indicating the position Ike had within the army where he respected the soldier. I was especially touched by the quotes from some of his speeches below.






Then on to Dubuque, Iowa. Here I visited a college friend who was the "RA"--the "gal in charge" of a group of us in an off-campus house. I had a great time touring the area around Dubuque and re-affirming our friendship.

Realize this is NOT in focus, but love it of Joanne, as Gaylen leads the tour of his "forest" on his land.
A view of the Mississippi near Dubuque. 
U.S. Grant Home in Galena, IL
U.S. Grant home, Galena, IL
Eagle Point State Park, Dubuque, Iowa
Lock and dam from Eagle Point State Park
Joanne and Gaylen

Then on to Aurora, for a fun packed weekend of reunion activities!

Later!

Posting this June 25, 2020....Part 1, Enjoy! Part 2 of the 2017 trip will follow.





Comments