E-Biking to the Closed Entrance to Mesa Verde National Park


We rode our e-bikes every day while staying at Mesa Verde RV Resort, creating our "special", private bike route! We rode up the highway (US 160) for about half a mile, then down the bank and around a barricade onto the frontage road. From there we rode up to the closed entrance to the National Park (all uphill!). But, it was like my friend Ruth said:  "she always wished she could ride bikes always down hill!"  With pedal assist, it almost was like that!  

 On the last day before the park opened, here are my stats:
average speed:  11.8  
maximum speed:  24.1  

When we turned around at entrance station, we moved the gear to no assist, as we were going downhill!  Hence the 24 mph speed!  I went almost all the way  down without any pedal assist, only shifting it into pedal assist level 1 just before I had to turn around when the frontage road ended. At that point, the ride up-hill began! When level 1 pedal assist was not enough, I shifted into level 2. When level 2 was not enough, I shifted into level 3!  But only on the 3rd time! 😄

Just before the Park's entrance (as seen by the sign) is 7000 feet. The RV park was at 6800 feet. Our elevation gain was 779 feet! From 6854 to 7080--a good consistent workout getting the body used to higher elevations! 

Do you think we are enjoying our e-bikes?!

Later!

A PS:  I did the "loop" 3 times. Mike completed the loop 4 times....!  But I did it! I am enjoying my bike, by golly!!!





 

Comments